Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
As an FBI Special Agent with expertise in cyber security, you’ll have a career like no other. Your technology background provides skillsets in areas the FBI needs most. To keep pace with evolving threats, we need Special Agents who are logical thinkers and experienced in network and information security, computer science, digital forensics, incident response and other aspects of cyber security. And as a Special Agent, you will be integrated into all of the different areas in which we work.
Whether you work in counterterrorism, criminal investigations or thwarting cyber attacks, investigating computer-based crimes (website hacks, intrusions, data theft, ransomware, etc.) make up some of our top priorities. You will work on highly collaborative investigative teams to thwart counterintelligence plots, fraud, bank robberies and more. Candidates must work well in high-speed, dynamic and sophisticated environments with effective communication skills.
You can expect continued specialized training once onboard and to work on some of the Bureau’s most complex cases. The scope and scale of our investigations provide unique challenges unlike anything you could work on in the private sector. Your ultimate mission: to protect the American people and uphold the Constitution of the United States.
Being a Special Agent can be a lifelong career of uncommon days and amazing experiences.
What you’ll need to succeed:
• Exceptional problem-solving and analytical skills.
• A deep understanding of the deployment, administration and support of information and computing infrastructure.
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with both technical and nontechnical colleagues and stakeholders, both internally and externally.
• Ability to be detail-oriented, yet keep a strategic focus.
• Ability to objectively evaluate information and make sound judgments.
• BA/BS degree in information technology, forensic science, computer technology or similar disciplines.
• Honesty and integrity must be the foundation of who you are.
• Demonstrated technical expertise and problem-solving ability.
• The drive and commitment to make a difference in the communities you serve.
All applicants are evaluated on core competencies of collaboration, communication, flexibility/adaptability, initiative, interpersonal ability, leadership, organizing/planning and problem solving/judgment.
The FBI Special Agent position requires significant commitment and dedication from you and your family, but it’s an experience you’ll never forget. As a Special Agent, you will join an elite team of people committed to the highest standards. Our team has a critical mission, and our people are sought after as some of the best in their fields.
The FBI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for this vacancy. Except where otherwise provided by law, selection will be made without regard to, and there will be no discrimination because of color, race, religion, national origin, political affiliation, marital status, parental status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, age, sex, sexual orientation, membership or non-membership in an employee organization, or on the basis of personal favoritism, or any other non-merit factors.
- Be at least 23 and not have reached your 37th birthday on appointment.
- Have three years of full-time professional work experience (see work experience waiver for exceptions).
- Meet the FBI’s Employment Eligibility requirements [https://www.fbijobs.gov/working-at-FBI/eligibility].
- Possess a valid driver's license with at least six months driving experience.
- Meet all FBI physical requirements, be physically fit to complete training at Quantico and maintain a high level of fitness throughout your career.
- Commit to serving as a Special Agent for a minimum of three years.
- Successfully complete approximately 20 weeks of employment as a Special Agent trainee, while housed at the FBI Academy in Quantico, VA.
- Work a minimum of a 50-hour workweek, which may include odd hours, and be on call 24/7, including holidays and weekends.
- Be willing and able to participate in arrests, execute search warrants, raids and similar assignments.