Grammarly team members in this role must be based in the United States or Canada, and they must be able to collaborate in person 2 weeks per quarter, traveling if necessary to the hub(s) where the team is based.
Every day, tens of millions of people and 50,000 professional teams worldwide trust Grammarly’s AI and human expertise to help ideate, compose, revise, and comprehend communications. Our team members have the autonomy to take on exciting challenges in pursuit of our mission to improve lives by improving communication. Together, we’re building on more than a decade of steady growth and profitability. We’re defining the communication assistance category with our tailored service offerings: Grammarly Free, Grammarly Premium, Grammarly Business, and Grammarly for Education. Our latest product offering, GrammarlyGO, brings the power of generative AI to our users. It all begins with our team collaborating in an inclusive, values-driven, and learning-oriented environment.
Trust is critical to Grammarly’s mission. The Security Foundations team plays a key role in upholding trust with our users, by building and operating critical services and product experiences around Identity, Privacy, Access Control, Secret Management, Fraud and Abuse protection, and other related areas. This demanding challenge requires a talented and dedicated team embedded within the rest of the company. To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for a Backend Engineer to join our Security Foundations team.
Grammarly’s engineers and researchers have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. The complexity of our technical challenges is growing rapidly as we scale our interfaces, algorithms, and infrastructure. Read more about our stack or hear from our team on our technical blog.
The Security Engineer on the Enterprise Security team is responsible for protecting Grammarly's infrastructure, including the corporate environment within which all our employees do their work and our cloud infrastructure within which all our product offerings and services run.
The Security Engineer will build and assure solutions that raise the security bar for our infrastructure. We are looking for people who love working on both security and operations.
In this role, the Security Engineer will:
- Contribute to the design and development of engineering solutions that support enterprise-wide security initiatives, such as Zero Trust.
- Develop Enterprise Security standards, guidelines, and policies by collaborating with our Governance Risk and Compliance (GRC) team.
- Design, build, maintain, tune, and enhance the effectiveness of our Enterprise Security controls in a wide range of security domains, including:
- Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR)
- Email Security
- Ransomware Resilience
- Data Loss Prevention (DLP)/Insider Risk
- Conditional Access
- Vendor/Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) Security
- Device Posture and Attestation, Shadow IT
- Threat and Vulnerability Management (TVM)
- Identity and Access Management (IAM)
- Public Key Infrastructure (PKI)
- Perform risk assessments and security assurance (threat modeling, code review, penetration testing) on a range of systems that support Grammarly’s business operations:
- Operating Systems and commercial/open-source desktop applications
- Internally developed Enterprise Infrastructure Services
- Third-Party Software as a Service (SaaS) solutions
- Public cloud infrastructure platforms and technologies (AWS, GCP, Azure, Terraform)
- Network Infrastructure (ZTNA, CASB, VPN)
- Drive the remediation of security vulnerabilities identified through assessments.
- Build security automation to secure our corporate infrastructure and development environments.
- Evaluate cutting-edge Enterprise Security technology designed to increase our security posture.
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We believe that autonomy and trust are key to empowering our team members to do their best, most innovative work in a way that aligns with their interests, talents, and well-being. We support professional development and advancement with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. Our remote-first hybrid model enables a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER (ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable) values. We work to foster belonging among team members in a variety of ways. This includes our employee resource groups, Grammarly Circles, which promote connection among those with shared identities, such as BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ team members, women, and parents. We also celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific programs.
Compensation and benefits
Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package encompassing the following and more:
- Excellent health care (including a wide range of medical, dental, vision, mental health, and fertility benefits)
- Disability and life insurance options
- 401(k) and RRSP matching
- Paid parental leave
- Twenty days of paid time off per year, eleven days of paid holidays per year, and unlimited sick days
- Home office stipends
- Caregiver and pet care stipends
- Wellness stipends
- Admission discounts
- Learning and development opportunities
Grammarly takes a market-based approach to compensation, which means base pay may vary depending on your location. Our US and Canada locations are categorized into compensation zones based on each geographic region’s cost of labor index. For more information about our compensation zones and locations where we currently support employment, please refer to this page. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Base pay may vary considerably depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The expected salary ranges for this position are outlined below by compensation zone and may be modified in the future.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, political belief, or any other characteristic protected by law. Grammarly is an equal opportunity employer and a participant in the US federal E-Verify program (US). We also abide by the Employment Equity Act (Canada).
Please note that EEOC is optional and specific to US-based candidates.
- Citizenship: Not Provided
- Incentives: Not Provided
- Education: Not Provided
- Travel: Not Provided
- Telework: Not Provided