INTERESTED CANDIDATES MUST RESIDE AND HAVE WORK AUTHORIZATION IN SOUTH AFRICA
edX is seeking a dedicated and passionate individual to join our central support team as a Cybersecurity Learning Specialist. Our students have a diverse background, from working professionals to recent college graduates who seek to transition into careers in Cybersecurity. We believe learning a new skill, in any of our programs, should be exciting and engaging — and that extends beyond the classroom.
As a Central Support Instructional Specialist, you will play an integral role in building trust and engagement with students to assist their learning experience in a virtual environment. You will have an opportunity to play a virtual-friendly role that directly relates to the Boot camp journey and adds meaning to our pedagogy of learning in a virtual capacity.
The ideal candidate should be an experienced Cybersecurity industry professional with at least 6 months of experience and is passionate about education and making an impact. Interested candidates should have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
If you believe that learning a new skill should be exciting and engaging and want to empower others to find life-changing opportunities, we encourage you to apply for this position.
What You Will Do:
- Tutor students remotely, each session will be 1 hour in length (50 min session time, 10 min admin time).
- Field questions posed by students relating to their weekly homework assignments, class exercises, group projects, and more in our proprietary platform (AskBCS). Learning assistants will foster learning and direct students to problem solve and find solutions.
- Grade homework assignments utilizing grading rubrics and grading feedback templates within 24-48 hours of submission.
- Support students for the duration of the boot camp program and help with both technical and non-technical skills such as success strategies for the boot camp.
- Infuse empathy, support, encouragement, and fun into the students' learning progression.
- Provide world-class student support while adhering to our support model to solve and respond to curriculum-based technical questions.
- Craft easy-to-understand responses that guide students to discover the answer to their questions.
- Provide feedback to students that help them achieve increasing excellence in their work.
- Articulate clear and thorough feedback that supports the specific grade assigned.
- Identify student errors and communicate explicitly for visibility to the local instructional team.
- Encourage students' progression of learning according to our pedagogy.
Familiarity with the following Cybersecurity subject matter:
- Security Fundamentals - CIA Triad, Governance, Risk Analysis and Risk Mitigation, Compliance, Business Continuity Planning
- Systems Administration - Linux Server Configuration, Bash Scripting and Programming, Windows Server Configurations
- Networks and Network Security - Network Architecture, Operations, Security, Wireshark and Traffic Analysis, Email Security, Wireless Security, Cryptography, Encryption, Cloud Security and Virtualization
- Defensive Security - Monitoring and Logging, Incident Response, Forensics, Data Extraction and Recovery
- Offensive Security - Burp Suite, SQL Injection, Penetration Testing Execution Standard, Searchsploit and Metasploit, Pivoting Networks
Skills & Requirements:
- At least 6 months of cybersecurity experience (or equivalent).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to self-manage daily remote work.
- A thorough, detail-oriented work style.
- Proficiency with software engineering tools.
- Ability to diagnose and troubleshoot complex, technical problems quickly and efficiently.
- A logical, analytical, and creative approach to problem-solving.
- A patient and positive attitude.
- Able to infuse empathy, support, encouragement, and fun into the learning environment.
- A computer, camera, microphone/headset, and reliable high-speed internet access are required.
- One additional monitor, microphone / headset are highly recommended
- UPS device is required
- Shift start and end times are standardized allowing you to plan your schedule
- Hourly employees with 2u/edX are limited to a maximum of 29 hours worked per week.
- Hone your skills by teaching and mentoring others
- Expand your network by joining the thousands of industry professionals that make up our our global instructional staff network
- Experience the gratitude and fulfillment that comes along with teaching and giving back to the tech community
- Employee Assistance and Wellness Programs
- Paid Annual Leave
We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa.
- Citizenship: Not Provided
- Incentives: Not Provided
- Education: Not Provided
- Travel: Not Provided
- Telework: Not Provided