Battelle Memorial Institute
Do you have a passion for understanding how things work, and ultimately, how they break? Do you enjoy working with discovering vulnerabilities and debugging programs with tools like gdb or QIRA? Does creating automated, scalable and reverse engineering tools and pipelines excite you? If you answered yes to these questions, this is the job for you!
Battelle’s founding mission “to translate scientific discovery and technology advances into societal benefit” is as relevant today as when we opened our doors over 90 years ago. Our science and technology enhance society's well-being and create critical innovations that drive scientific advances for the future. We conduct groundbreaking research and development, design and manufacture leading-edge products, and deliver critical services for commercial and government customers. Our work meets the needs of the nation when it matters most, and Battelle is committed to driving innovation today and for generations to come.
Battelle is seeking a Senior Reverse Engineer in Chantilly, VA or Columbus, OH to join an elite team of Engineers to solve the toughest Computer Science problems in the world. In this role, you will work with disassemblers and debuggers to quickly understand how embedded devices operate. You will use and build tools that push past the edge of current tools and techniques. In a given day you will research and debug an embedded device while getting the chance to bounce ideas off of a close-knit team of researchers. We have the tools and the mentors you will need to take yourself to the next level and who are eager to learn from your experience.
We are a not for profit 501c3, which means that we invest in our employees and ideas. We fund internal research and development ideas, we have paid training budgets, and we have unlimited snacks and coffee. Our work environment is t-shirt/jeans, flexible hours, and once a week we will play together on a CTF.
• The willingness and ability to obtain and maintain a US Government clearance
• Ability to understand C or C++
• Experience with OS internals
• Strong understanding in reading assembly language and using debugging tools
• Ability to use a scripting language (Python, Perl, Ruby, etc.)
• Experience working with disassemblers such as IDA Pro, Binary Ninja, or radare2
• Understanding of networking fundamentals
• Experience with PC and embedded systems architectures such as x86, ARM, MIPS, PowerPC and others.
• Ability to work individually and in small fast paced team environments
• Passion and drive to constantly need to improve your skill set
• Experience using fuzzing tools such as AFL or Peach
• Concolic analysis research and implementation
• Experience emulating embedded platforms for live debugging
• Learn (tuition assistance, paid training) and teach (get published, speak at a conference)
• Software and Intellectual Property development royalty sharing
• Mentorship and learning culture
• Internally funded and guided research projects with large amounts of individual autonomy while working from home, if desired, up to 30% time
Battelle Cyber Challenge: https://battellecyberchallenge.org/
Battelle Cyber: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqMuKsqH9wc
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers
- Analyze embedded binaries and firmware to identify functional behavior
- Perform dynamic analysis of software and firmware using
- Investigate embedded software/hardware devices and their inherent communication implementations
- Implement custom designs in C/C++ and assembly (x86, ARM, MIPS)
- Work with mobile or embedded devices to identify security vulnerabilities