- Salary: $168750 - $231982
- Citizenship: Not Provided
- Incentives: Not Provided
- Education: Bachelors Degree
- Travel: Not Provided
- Telework: Not Provided
JOB TITLE: Director of Information Technology
AGENCY: City of Berkeley
LOCATION: Berkeley, California
FILING DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
SALARY RANGE: $168,750.40 – $231,982.40 Annually
The Director of Information Technology reports to the City Manager and has the responsibility for planning, organization, financial management, and the effective and successful operation of the department and it’s programs and services, which include information technology policy development and implementation, the configuration and administration of the City’s networks, Citywide data administration, software and hardware innovation, provision of professional assistance to other City departments, and establishment of procedures and standards. In addition, the Director performs related work, as required. This position’s responsibilities include the development and maintenance of the City’s networks and related infrastructure, workstation specification and maintenance, Web and other media systems development, database management, automated mapping (GIS), applications systems design and development, information technology training, and communications technology. The Director is responsible for providing leadership and management to ensure the effective utilization of automated systems in support of improving and maximizing services throughout the City. The Director is responsible for formulating policy, developing goals and objectives, hiring, and supervising professional staff, administering the department’s budget, and furthering City goals and objectives within general policy guidelines.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will be a forward thinking, visionary team-player and leader with experience understanding the complexities of a large organization’s technology infrastructure needs, developing and managing a budget, and effectively managing an IT organization. The successful candidate will be defined by an ability to meet project goals, provide high quality customer service, foster a working environment of high performance and accountability, collaboration and inclusive participation, racial equity, community and employee engagement, and a proactive and motivating management approach. Excellent communication and interpersonal skill are necessary to create and build positive relationships with staff, other departments, leadership, elected official, and other key stakeholders. The next Director of Information Technology for the City of Berkeley must have exceptional political awareness and professionalism, good judgement, and a sensitivity to issues involving the City and its multiple departments. The ideal candidate will have a history of skillful budget management and stewardship; consistent policy adherence; a record of success and support of others; and effective focus, organization, and prioritization in coordination and facilitation with peers and partners to manage multiple projects and programs.
The City of Berkeley seeks experienced and passionate executive candidates who:
· Champion the mission, culture, and objectives of the organization.
· Have proven ability to manage the strategic, tactical, and day-to-day needs of a complex organization.
· Are proven leaders with a passion for working in a fast-paced, high profile, and progressive environment.
· Define their leadership style in collaboration and integrity of the highest levels.
· Demonstrate a record of mentoring and developing a strong team.
· Exhibit proven resourcefulness and creativity in resource-constrained environments.
· Organize teams and resources toward meeting objectives that support organizational goals.
· Anticipate problems and proactively prevent and resolve challenges.
· Develop deep trust by communicating honestly, collaborating, and delivering equitable outcomes with all levels of the organization and with stakeholders in the community.
· Provide leadership, appreciation, and advocacy for innovation and technology to enhance organizational effectiveness to ensure the City is serving the community. Stay current.
· Consistently demonstrate commitment to equity and inclusion, including the use of equity tools in the deployment of technology resources.
· Engage diverse teams and communities in a culturally competent manner.
· Act on the professional and political concerns of staff in a politically astute and capable manner, including regular interaction with the City Manager’s Office, Mayor, and Councilmembers.
· Build confidence and trust in the IT Department, nourishing and fostering relationships with other City departments, and with the community and key stakeholders.
For more details about this opportunity, please visit the job brochure at:
To be considered, please submit a resume, cover letter, and list of five professional references (who will not be contacted in the early stages of the recruitment) at: https://koffassociates.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Rev2-Berkeley-ITD.pdf.
For additional information, please contact:
Frank Rojas at: (510) 495-0448 or Email: email@example.com
Carlo Zabala at: (510) 342-3233 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org