Who is SimSpace?
Do you want to help shape the future of training cyber security teams against malicious cyber criminals and foreign actors? Would you like your work to have a meaningful impact in an area as important as cyber security? SimSpace is the fast-growing leader in the cyber range market and enabling organizations to ensure that their people, processes, and technology are all ready to operate in harmony. We are seriously disrupting the status quo for cybersecurity risk and readiness. Our advanced cyber security stack evaluations, automatic attack/defend bots, and cyber range technologies are changing the way security teams learn, grow, and work.
About this role:
We are looking for a Defensive Security Engineer that is highly motivated, comfortable and professional in the presence of skilled customer practitioners. The ideal candidate has a strong technical background, is enthusiastic, good at problem solving, has a strong desire to learn and constantly works toward excellence. As a defensive security engineer you will work directly with network defenders to help them learn and master their craft. You will be responsible for teaching the concepts, practical/hands-on use of open source and commercial security tools as well as established and cutting edge techniques to Cyber Security Incident Response Teams to effectively defend their networks from advanced cyber threats.
- Deploy, configure and provide support for tool sets in-range that will be utilized by security teams and incident responders; including EDR software, logging solutions, forensic software and network monitoring products.
- Generate and build upon attack/defend scenarios and skills development labs that teaches the full range of cyber defense techniques of hardening, monitoring, pursuit, and cyber intelligence
- Review and contribute to learning materials in the form of briefings, white papers, videos, practical exercises, and games
- Work with our range-operations and DevOps teams to develop toolsets and scenarios within a cybersecurity range to model real-world threat defense scenarios
- Support assessment of customer security teams and customer events (travel estimated at up to 25% in the near future)
- Assess and communicate the skills and level of cyber defense of individuals and teams prior to, during and post events via both oral and written deliverables
- A detailed understanding of global, national and industry cyber security recommended best practices and frameworks (NIST, SANS, CIS, DoD)
- Practical experience as a practitioner of cyber red-blue exercise concepts as a learning technique
- Practical networking experience inside of business and LAN environments
- A clear understanding of the current state-of-the-art in computer and network security practices and research, to include exploit mitigation, countermeasures, detection, forensics, auditing and other defensive tools
- Complete understanding of adversary kill-chain and exploitation scenarios
- Broad knowledge of standard security-centric tools such as logging and monitoring, along with deep specialization knowledge in one of Windows Domain Security, Windows Forensics, Linux Security, or Network Security
- Demonstrable strong oral and written communication skills and comfortable presenting both virtually and in-person
- Knowledgeable in several aspects of cyber security as applied to Windows, Linux, network infrastructure/components, and cyber Intelligence
- Can develop and present your own training materials based on your assessment of customer needs
- Can build and operate your own defensive toolsets
- Experience in multiple technical areas to include incident response, vulnerability assessment, risk management, information assurance, scripting, cyber intelligence, forensics, malware analysis, network and/or host-based monitoring
- Cyber security classes and credentials are a plus: Preferred security credentials include GCIH or one of GCIA, GCWN, GNFA, OSCP, or demonstrable equivalent knowledge
- Professional level certification in vendor platforms such as Windows, RedHat, Cisco or other systems a plus
- Will consider both generalists with a background in security and devops system-administration, and specialists in specific aspects: (ie Windows defense/forensics, network security monitoring, unix defense/monitoring, etc)
- Hands-on experience or familiarity with open source and commercial cybersecurity products such as Security Onion, ELK, Snort, Splunk, Security Analytics, Tanium, Crowdstrike, Carbon Black, Cyber Reason or others is essential
SimSpace is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides extensive Benefits including:
- Competitive salary and benefits (medical, dental, company-paid vision, 401k, savings and spending
accounts, Employee Assistance Program, company-paid Life and AD&D Insurance)
- Salary Range ($130,000-150,000)
- Equity options at hire and potential for additional based on performance
- Semi-flexible hours, with the expectation that you overlap the main part of the day to meet
deadlines, collaborate with colleagues and attend key meetings.
- We are a hybrid remote/in-person company with an amazing office in Boston's Fort Point. We also
have a distributed team outside of Boston. We are currently all remote to follow COVID-19
precautions. We do value in-person collaboration, so if you're located in Boston, we'd love to have
you in the office when it's possible!
- Unlimited paid time off
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
SimSpace does not and shall not discriminate based on race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression and identity, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military/veteran status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients. Research shows that women and people from underrepresented groups only apply to jobs if they meet all of the qualifications. However, no one ever meets 100% of the qualifications. SimSpace encourages you to break that statistic and to apply. We look forward to your application
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/g2rd8eiplnJpJHlagf6Azm
- Salary: $130000 - $150000
- Citizenship: Us Citizen
- Incentives: Not Provided
- Education: High School Diploma
- Travel: Travel 25
- Telework: Not Provided